Progress Map

This blog I shall use as my progress Map. I shall be recording my research discoveries and journey exploring my lead question.

Are the media benefitting or the reciever through brand advertising?

Are the media benefitting or the reciever through brand advertising?

Monday 10 May 2010

Research strategy

I plan to layout my written dissertation in 3 chapters including an introduction and conclusion. I aim to investigate the contrast between the younger and the older generations; reflecting the effect of the media and how their effective ways can manipulate these generations absorbing them in this form of influential advertising. I plan to research what makes a good advertisement, and how other influences associated with the advertisement effect the response of the viewer psychologically as well as this power it has to create this stereotype associated with a brand.

With the pressure of the media today our younger generations are reflecting the effect of this push and becoming pressured in to this new type of culture. The younger audience is impressionable and the base of enjoying childhood in my opinion is living like a child should; rather than the need to want to rush to grow up and be like the adult. Our younger audience is so easily influenced that it questions how this generation will turn out. What will they perceive as the norm?

What the younger audiences are loosing out on, referring to the norm, the advertising media are gaining by creating this idea of what is essentially the way to be; This stereo type to become part of this brand.

A supporting example is of recently in Primark the production of padded bras for young children. The marketing culture is trying to target young girls in order to widen their market. Where will we cut the line to protect a child and let them grow by themselves.

The points that I will cover within my first Chapter will consist of looking at the youth, the pressures and loosing touch of childhood. The effect of losing there childish ways and become part of this new type of culture (relating to youth culture, sub cultures and stereotypes) is making the younger generation loose out on the norm.

For my second Chapter I will look in to the Role of the advertiser and how they stretch the boundaries, allowing this advertising tolerance. These designers are artists in them selves how they create their pieces of work to generate this outrageous impact. Fashion Advertising is becoming an excuse to publish more and more provocative images. With investigating what makes a good advertisement I plan to do a survey in order to get a good feedback of viewer’s responses and feelings towards the different types of ads related to fashion for example the advertisements degree of the shock factor.

With today’s advertisement’s many of us are creating a sexual tolerance to what is seen, making it more acceptable, taking advertisement to a higher degree with sex. We could say this is making it more of a challenge for the advertiser to get the attention of their audience, heightening the degree of sexual imagery within the promotion of the product.

I plan to utilise different analyses on different types of fashion magazines and see how each magazine has portrayed their women differently in appearance. The extremes of advertisement influence the different expectations of appearance physically, especially with the portrayal of the sexual figure.

Are the media benefiting or the viewer? The issue of the overload of culture is loosing our personal thought. Advertising has shown to be the most powerful tool to promote brands. Clever advertising has shown to target a particular audience through controversial ways in order to get their audiences attention. Are we as a society allowing advertisements, unaware of the consequential impact? This could effect our future generation becoming brought up on explicit, yet legitimate advertising. What kind of morals will these people of the future have, if any?

But it isn’t just the younger age groups who have become affected by media influences the older generations have been subjected to it too.

This relates back to my main focus of how superficial we have become, stuck in this theory of ‘surface’, no depth. I will also define “Superficial”

For my third chapter I wont to investigate the pressure on the age generation, becoming disillusioned with the need to meet the demand of this cult of beauty.

What levels people would go to how it mentally is affecting our idea of the norm.

This need for eternal youth to reach fulfillment is a cause of concern with the obsession of our society being pressured in to these easy answers of cosmetic necessities. How superficial it’s all become, this idea ‘surface’ has now become the main importance

In my conclusion I hope to conclude my question of who is benefitting the media or the viewer?

Sources

I plan to support my investigation through collecting my own Primary research:

-My own making of ads -observing and getting peoples responses, in order to understand what makes a good advertisement and how other influences associated with the advertisement effect the response of the viewer.

-Face book forum/ survey- in response to selection of ads

-Interview magazines / pr companies -with what they think is their ideal of an advertisement, in order to promote brands and draw attention

To support my own research I will look in to different media resources such as book and articles as well as the Internet. I shall plan to record my research with a use of a blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment